If I have agreed to write a recommendation for you, please give me a folder containing
- a copy of your transcript, unofficial is fine
- a copy of your personal statement and CV (if applicable),
- all necessary forms or directions to the appropriate online forms
- stamped envelopes to send directly (if applicable)
At least two weeks before the first letter is due, e-mail me your answers to the following questions (the more details the better):
- What is your name, year, and major?
- For what are you applying? (scholarship, internship, graduate school, etc.)
- List the programs to which you are applying, together with due dates.
- How long have I known you, and what is my relationship(s) to you? (instructor, advisor, etc.) Have you graded or tutored for me? If so, for what class(es) and when?
- For what class(es) have I had you, what final grade(s) did I assign you, and how did you distinguish yourself in my class(es)?
- How would you describe yourself?
- What are some of your academic accomplishments?
- What are some of your nonacademic accomplishments?
- What makes me particularly qualified to write a letter for you?
- What makes you particularly qualified for this position/honor/award?
- What are your long term goals and will this position/honor/award help? If so, how?
- Additional comments (REU’s, summer research, interesting jobs, hobbies, etc.)?
Please send me e-mail reminders as deadlines approach, and feel free to chat with me about other ways you can make the letter writing process go as smoothly as possible.
adapted from Michael Orrison, Harvey Mudd College